Helena Lewis reflects on her experiences of the ‘NineStart’ graduate scheme to date.
It’s that time of year for a final year university student. The dreaded dissertation deadline looms and you start wondering what you might do after you finish university. It’s understandably easy to find yourself in the January of your final year wondering how you might get round these seemingly daunting obstacles.
Unfortunately, Nine Feet Tall can’t take care of your dissertation for you; however, as an award-winning management consultancy, we do offer a premium graduate scheme: ‘NineStart’. With an application deadline of 20th February, there’s still plenty of time to apply! Here are nine reasons you should consider a consultancy career with Nine Feet Tall:
- You won’t sit around twiddling your thumbs… – I’ve only been at Nine Feet Tall for 7 months and I’ve already spent the majority of that time working for four different clients. Here, you’ll get the opportunity to gain first-hand client experience straight away and start making a valuable difference to your clients from the outset.
- Extensive training – although you will get considerable exposure to client work from the start, this does not mean you’ll be thrown in at the deep-end. You’ll receive training from other members of the team who can provide real working examples and practices, as well as the opportunity to gain industry-recognised qualifications such as, Business Analysis, Management Consulting Essentials and PRINCE2 to name a few.
- Access to a large internal support network – you can join Nine Feet Tall in the safe knowledge that you’ll be backed up by a strong support network. Each new starter is assigned a “mentor” who will help plan your professional development as well as a “buddy” who helps ensure a smooth transition into working life at the company. In reality, we all support each other and regularly catch up and share ideas over coffee.
- Take charge of your own development – with dedicated training days available to you as part of the two-year graduate scheme, you’re given the flexibility to choose how you would like to develop your knowledge and skills. Your mentor plays a big part in this and there’s a real emphasis on taking ownership of your development to match your own ambitions.
- ‘No two days are ever the same’ – this is admittedly a cliché but it’s certainly reflective of my time at Nine Feet Tall so far. For example, one day I was interviewing stakeholders to understand their business processes and the next I was ice skating in Bath wearing Christmas antler ears – failing miserably not to fall over – as part of our Christmas company day…it really is a fun place to work!
- A chance to make a genuine impact – one of the main reasons I chose Nine Feet Tall was because I wanted to work somewhere where I could be a valued member of the team and not be seen as ‘just a number’. Aside from client work, you’ll have opportunities to get involved in internal company projects and help shape the future of Nine Feet Tall.
- ‘All by myself’… – as the majority of our consultants are spread around the country at various client sites, it would be reasonable to assume we might not get to see each other very often; but that’s not the case at all. The whole company gets together for activity days at least a couple of times a year – Dublin and Cardiff were the highlights for me. Not to mention informal catch-ups over coffee when in the office!
- Flexible working to suit your needs – at Nine Feet Tall, you’re given the freedom to work in whatever way and location suits you best. Some days you’ll be on client site, others you may choose to work from home; you’ll also have the option of working at our coffee-shop style office. Working from our HQ in Spaces is always an opportunity to catch up with colleagues and is a relaxed environment to work in. There’s also a cracking table tennis table amongst other games in our offices – I will happily challenge anyone who wants to play!
- All the benefits of working in Bath – let’s face it, who doesn’t like Bath? It’s a vibrant and beautiful world heritage site and our office is located right at the heart of it.
If you are interested in finding out more about Nine Feet Tall’s award-winning graduate development programme, please click here. Applications close on 20th February.